This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Win2k8r2 Server + Win7x64 Client + Liquesce = FAIL....... SMB Limits ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM
First off, liquesce works FLAWLESSLY.

On Server 2008R2, I have tried it in both FOLDER Output (so that a static share can remain in the SYSWOW64 folder on reboot) and DRIVE Output Modes (better for local access) and it is a dream come true.

I have also read of similar problems to what I experienced with other users though (missing files, everything 'not there')....and I can confidently report that it is a CLIENT ISSUE and NOT a Server or liquesce issue.

Here it is in a nutshell:
I currently have a folder named '1080p-AC3' that is common to 3 different drives. liquesce automatically combines these 3 folders as advertised and the local machine sees everything.

The Client on the other hand (Win7x64) can only see 315 files, or 1.32TB out of the 986 Files, or 3.73TB that are in the folder and seen locally in the virtual drive.

On the other hand, using an 'XPMode' Virtual Machine (built into Win7 Ultimate x64) 32bit XP can see everything (albeit slow to browse) and display the entirety of the 3.73TB/986 File contents of the folder......using the same Win7x64 machine that can not using shared NAT networking as a base platform.

Did Microsoft see this 'coming' ? and THAT is why they ditched Drive Pooling in Windows Home Server's last release ?
Is this a client Lanman/SMB problem ? ......it sure seems like it.
Mar 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Thanks for the write-up.
Fail in capitals, a little harsh and makes it look Liquesce is at fault..
Have you tried the SMB registry hacks mentioned in other locations in this site ?
Mar 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM
You are right and I sincerely apologize for the CAPs.

Liquesce is an awesome piece of software. MICROSOFT = FAIL ;)

I tried forcing SMB Registry hacks on my Win7x64 Client, but has failed unfortunately and I am not versed well enough to dive deeper into the Client-side problem in the registry.

In the end, my client will need to be Win7x64, as both Mediacenter and Workstation PCs on my home network alike.

The Server on the other hand doesn't matter and I will install a few Virtual PCs on the Server box in both x86 and x64 flavor to do further testing with.

Perhaps rather than a registry hack on my Win7 boxes, I can simply force Win7 to automatically connect to an older Server platform using a different SMB version than it's default by trying both Server 2003 x86 and Server 2008 (not R2) x64 and x86.

In a completely related matter, I decided to give Drivebender a try and all I can say is that I couldn't get it off my server fast enough, as it caused nothing but problems, even on a fresh Win2k8 R2 installation, where Liquesce worked FLAWLESSLY. Once Drivebender was installed, the server failed to reboot cleanly (hello RESET button) and constantly became unresponsive trying to initiate the Drivebender service and connect to the pool......NONE OF WHICH Liquesce failed to perform without issues.

Liquesce, again, is a great package. Microsoft on the other hand....needs work, as do retail/paid alternatives to Liquesce.

I will continue to test locally and report my findings, as I am pooling over 1200 BluRay MKV Rips and am trying to pool over 16 TB's worth of HDDs in my Mediaserver and can really benefit from a pool if I can get the client-side to work properly.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Mar 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Unfortunately it's not all Microsoft's fault.
It's the Driver implementation of Dokan, that also has flaws.

I am in the process (Rather slowly) of moving over to a different driver that "Should" solve the sharing problems.
As you seem to be well versed in using VM's and have access to the platforms, then perhaps you may be a good position to be a tester. No timescale yet, just need a push, and some enthusiasm ;-)

BTW, the SMB changes have to be made on both sides and a reboot, but these do not solve all the problems (See notepad access and uTorrent usage)

My Current usage is 12TB, But starts with drives of only 750GB, so well done for getting a decent system together.