Liquesce is painfully slow..

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

First off I want to say thank you SO MUCH for creating this program!

It is EXACTLY what I have been searching for and hope that it will solve a lot of my media management problems!

I've got it all set up and working exactly how I want and it's functioning just perfectly, except it's painfully slow! Painfully.

Browsing in explorer takes many seconds to display things, opening this folder with 126 folders in it just took nearly 30 seconds!

Anything on my end I can do to fix this? The program is consuming about 50% of my quad core during that whole time.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I've been able to slightly offset this problem by adding all the folder and files relating to the program to the exception list on my Antivirus, but it's still really really slow :-/

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Thanks for the encouraging usage report :-)

What Version are you using ?

Do you have thumbnails turned on ?

Do your files have metadat that needs to be read (i.e. photo's, mp3's)

How many threads have you allocated for Dokan ?

Have you set the logging to Warning ?(Defaults to Debug I think)

Do ou have shares set up on the mounted drive anywhere ?

All of these things have an impact.

I am working on speeding things up with the latest Alpha

Please can you fill in the following [http://liquesce.codeplex.com/discussions/245009]

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM

You're very welcome!

I think it is the latest version from the website.. I just started with it 2 days ago and grabbed the newest copy.

Thumbnails in explorer? No.

Meatadata? I suppose but it is even slow in my music library server (Subsonic if you are familiar)

I've not touched Dokan other than installing it.

Logging is at default I believe.

No shares yet.

On it.

I'll check into your suggestions right now.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

HOLY WOW!

Bumped it up to 16 threads (4 for each core) and it's as fast as normal Windows!!! 

Thanks so much Sir! Your program is awesome!

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM
sooth wrote:
I've not touched Dokan other than installing it.
Logging is at default I believe.

The following will help you find the settings above.. http://liquesce.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Advanced%20Settings&referringTitle=FAQs

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM
sooth wrote:

HOLY WOW!

Bumped it up to 16 threads (4 for each core) and it's as fast as normal Windows!!! 

Thanks so much Sir! Your program is awesome!

:-D
While you are in the discovery phase, Can you do some testing for me please ?

Could you see when it starts to become more responsive (Start @ 1) and tabulate, and then after you have got to the max of 32, set it to 0 (The Dokan automatic figure).
To force the service to stop after a value change -> save ->send.  Hold the Ctrl Key and right click on the application tray Icon, you wil then get 2 new menu items, which should be self explanatory :-)

Thanks in advance.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Something is fishy... I just set it down to 1 and restarted the service... it's running just as fast...

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM

One other thing.. the math is off XD

It says I have 1.49TB free of 5.05TB when in fact I have only 3TB of space.

Probably due to the multiple paths to the same drives!

F:\Music\Music

E:\Movies\Movies

G:\Movies\Movies

H:\Movies\Movies

E:\TV\Movies

F:\TV\Movies

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM
sooth wrote:
One other thing.. the math is off XD
It says I have 1.49TB free of 5.05TB when in fact I have only 3TB of space.

Probably due to the multiple paths to the same drives!
F:\Music\Music
E:\Movies\Movies
G:\Movies\Movies
H:\Movies\Movies
E:\TV\Movies
F:\TV\Movies

Good spot.. Just created a new Issue that covers that ! "http://liquesce.codeplex.com/workitem/9924"

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM
sooth wrote:
Something is fishy... I just set it down to 1 and restarted the service... it's running just as fast...

This can be checked by restarting the management app. If it still reports a figure that is not what you set last, then the value was not sent and accepted by the service.

Or, it could have been that the AV had not fully "let go" of the scan that they had started.

Or, the OS was performing an update which slows all sorts of things down.