This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Creating Multiple Merge Points Within A Drive Mount

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:02 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2011 at 4:07 AM

I just found Liquesce and it was really easy to set up, kudos! I'm coming from FlexRAID Views, which was a nightmare to set up.

One thing FlexRAID Views allowed for that Liquesce does not is that I could have multiple merge points within a drive mount. This would allow for a lot more organization with the merging.

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2011 at 6:07 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM
fritosman wrote:
One thing FlexRAID Views allowed for that Liquesce does not is that I could have multiple merge points within a drive mount. This would allow for a lot more organization with the merging.

Perhaps an example might be a better way to explain what you are looking for;
Have you tried setting up the mergepoints from the pooled drive, once a pooled drive letter has been created ?
Also, what OS types are you using ? (Please fill in the following with your initial / ongoing impressions please - Why you installed / Used / Uninstalled")

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Edited Apr 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I'm using Windows 7 x64.

For example, I want to create a drive mount called Media on drive X:. Within Media, I want multiple merge points. One merge point might be called TV and would pull TV from different folders on different drives and another merge point might be called Movies that pulls movies from different folders on different drives. 

[quote]Have you tried setting up the mergepoints from the pooled drive, once a pooled drive letter has been created ?[/quote] Not sure what you mean exactly. Using the software, I'm only able to create one merge point.

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

You do not have to merge the roots of drives to create a merged pool drive letter, So if you have the layout that you require already, then you might be able to just create a double entry in the sources and then merge it's root to become the merged pool e.g.

d:\Movies\Movies\Horror
d:\1990\Series\TV\TV

e:\Movies\Movies\Horror
e:\Movies\Movies\Action

z:\TV\TV
z:\TV\TV\news

Then a merg on all the Movies and TV's in the middle window would look like:

d:\Movies\
d:\1990\Series\TV
e:\Movies\
z:\TV\

Resulting in a pool on M:\ of

M:\Movies\Horror (Contining d:\ and e: merged)
M:\Movies\Action
M:\TV (Containing d: and Z: merged)
M:\TV\news

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Edited Apr 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM

So it sounds like what I want to do is currently possible, I just don't know how to do it. You have three merge points there, but I only seem to be able to create one merge point using the 3-23 alpha (2011.3.15.650). I drag the folders I want to merge into the center pane. I don't see any way to seperate that merge point from a new merge point?

To be more specific, this is part of my configuration for FlexRAID:

-X:\Movies

|-*F:\Videos\Movies

|-*G:\Videos\Movies

|-*H:\Videos\Movies

-X:\TV

|-*F:\Videos\TV

|-*G:\Videos\TV

|-*H:\Videos\TV

With liquesce, I am only able to do either TV or movies, and I am not able to nest the merge point within a folder of the drive mount... So instead of having all my movies in X:\Movies, they are just in X:\ and I don't know how to change that. http://i.imgur.com/dBFww.png

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Just drag the Root items which in your case are the Video subdirectories e.g
F:\Videos
G:\Videos
H:\Videos
etc.

Then any subdirectories of those roots will be "merged".

Therefore there is no need to create seperate directory structures for every subdir of the root, as that will be done automaticaly. See the picture in "Setup Merging" which shows the Kylie sundirectory merged into a single entity.
The point is, that the start items do not have to be the Drive letters, but can be any number of subdirectories of nay drive that can be "Seen/used" by windows.