This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Slow Network Speed

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Hi, i've tried your Program and it works great so far.

If i copy some files in the machine using Liquesce, there are rates like 70 - 90 MByte/s, those are nearly the rates i get by normal copying.

But if i copy over network, i get rates like 20 MByte/s and a CPU usage of 50-70%

If i copy directly from the hard disk over network, the rates are about 50 - 70 MByte/s.

I hope this helps in the development of your prog.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM

1) What OS are you using ?

2) What version of Liquesce ?

3) Large or small files ?

4) Do you have an anti-vurus kicking in that is seeing the new files appearing in 2 locations (Hence the high CPU) ?

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:31 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM
smurfiv wrote:

1) What OS are you using ?

2) What version of Liquesce ?

3) Large or small files ?

4) Do you have an anti-vurus kicking in that is seeing the new files appearing in 2 locations (Hence the high CPU) ?

1) Im using Win 7 64 Bit on both machines.

2) Liquesce_Setup 2010-11-25 Beta which is the newest version, right?

3) Large files around 20 Gig each

4) Using Avira Anti Vir but i don't think thats happening because i get fast copy rates if i do the internal copying.

I just checked the Service logs and found out the folllowing:

Internal Copy: File gets chopped into 1 MByte pieces.

Lan Copy: File gets chopped into 64 KByte pieces.

I think this might have something to do with the higher CPU load.

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM

There are 2 options

1) Manually edit the client.configuration file and change the "BufferWireTransferSize" to be a larger value

- Value can be tuned on the client side (Will need a service restart)

2) Uninstall and install Dokan 0.6.0 on the server and install the alpha test that has the win x64 fix in it

- This will not need the client application or the SMB fix

As for the AntiVirus:

- Unless you have told it to ignore the new Dokan Drive then they will scan any file that is placed onto it (Over the wire and not locally) twice, as they "see" a new file appearing in 2 locations: 1) on the Dokan drive letter, 2) on the actually Physical drive letter.

If they are copied locally then they should not scan as they now the source has already been scanned (Unless it's a removable drive !)

Copying direct to the share means that it would be scanned once.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I tried the newest Version of Dokan and your alpha but after installing Dokan i am not abled to access any Folders on my Server, actualy im not abled to access the Server after all, strange behavior to be honest.

About the copying to the share.

I am only doing copies from the share, to other Computers.

I am not copying direclty to the share because i like to keep the files in a structure i like and for some reason it does strange things when copying directly to the share like filling one disk with a file even so the file is too big for the remaining space on the disk.

Lets say i have 5 GB left on the first disk and 20 on another. 

I start a copy of a 10 GB file and it tries to fit it on the first Hard disk with 5 GB.

Im using Teracopy as my preffered copying program, maybe thats why it behaves in such a way?

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM
dasmarx wrote:I am not copying direclty to the share because i like to keep the files in a structure i like and for some reason it does strange things when copying directly to the share like filling one disk with a file even so the file is too big for the remaining space on the disk.

Lets say i have 5 GB left on the first disk and 20 on another. 

I start a copy of a 10 GB file and it tries to fit it on the first Hard disk with 5 GB.

1) What Mode have you got the Drive space allocation set to ?

2) What size have you set the "HoldOffBytes"

3) Be careful with the latest version of Teracopy, as they have done something strange to the way files are opened for copying, and have not tested it with the "Alpha" yet/

Notes:

4) I have only tested the Alpha and new Dokan on win 7x64 Pro, Are you using Ultimate or something else ?

5) Also have you rebooted after installing the "Alpha" ?

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Im not at home right now, but i will test it as soon as possible.

4) Im using win 7 64 bit pro too.

5)

rebooted after uninstall dokan

reboot after installing dokan 0.6.0

reboot after installing alpha.

I will answer the other questions later.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM
dasmarx wrote:

I tried the newest Version of Dokan and your alpha but after installing Dokan i am not abled to access any Folders on my Server, actualy im not abled to access the Server after all, strange behavior to be honest.

[url:critical Issue|http://code.google.com/p/dokan/issues/detail?id=197]

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.