Incorrect function ... NTFS permissions?

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:28 AM

First off hello..... and thanks NLS for pointing me here.

When I did my first merge and looked at the virtual drive with my folders I was all like OMGOMGOGMOGMMOG finally something that does what I want!

Pity about the "incorrect function" issue that breaks it. :(

Just one thing - when I create a share in Server2008 R2 (all computers incl. clients have password protected sharing on) I set the share permission and then I have to set the NTFS permissions before my clients can access the share - otherwise I get a no access permissions error. I use the Share and Storage Management MMC for this.

When I go into NTFS permissions on the share I make on the virtual folder "Videos" in this case, it is all blank with no owner - or owner Everyone and I get a warning from windows about it. I try to set the permissions and it seems to work without error but the settings don't save and it just reverts back immediately.

This isn't related to the issue is it? Maybe if it had NTFS permissions set it would work?

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:05 AM

In fact we really need to make clear what works and what not and why and under what conditions.

Something like a table is needed, the issue tracker cannot give a clear idea.

Is it possible the devs start this? (since they also have access to unreleased or uncompiled code?)

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM

@ NLS - I had thought that any 32 bit host would work, but it seems that Win 7 x32 Ultimate also has problems, So it appears to be some sort of security style thing.

@ webs0r - Not sure what you mean by the "Storage Managament MMC" as I have yet to play with 2008 (any flavour) [ Is it not the same as Win 7's "Shared Folders Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in" ?]

If a share has everyone set, that does that negate the NTFS permissions ?

Anyway, here are the defaults for the Win 7 Pro setup I have been using for the testing. "http://liquesce.codeplex.com/Project/Download/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=Liquesce&WorkItemId=7669&FileAttachmentId=2776"

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yes it is a similar snap-in.

If you go into the properties of a share there it should have 2 tabs - share permissions (I think this is for SMB) and security (this is for NTFS).

When 'password protected sharing' is turned on in the advanced network & sharing options (from the network panel), these settings need to be aligned for me to be able to access a file.

E.g. I can put SMB sharing to "everyone" but I also need to add "everyone" to NTFS, or add user "Martin" (matches the client username & password) in the NTFS security for it to work

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I Seem to be getting a littl econfused here..

1) Are you saying yu have got this to work (Even temporaily) in Win2k8 R2 with some settings _AND_ via Liquesce ?

2) What you describe as the SMB Share tab is the default in Win 7 (Both 32 and 64) so it would seem to be NTFS on those.

3) The SMB / NTFS things, can they be made visible by some method in Win 7 (e.g via registry setting / install)

4) I thought CIFS was in all windows OS's since they became 32 bit.

5) Win 7 also has 2 tabs- the 1st is general, followed by the "Share Permissions"

6) Here's a spanner in the works. If the share is hosted on a 64 bit platform, it cannot be accessed via a 64 bit client (including itself via the network stack) but a good old XP 32 still can !

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Sorry - I'll try to be clear.

1) No :(

2) Sharing tab and then security tab on Win7. I was just saying that I need permissions in both of these tabs to be aligned to be able to share a file normally, without Liquesce. But with Liquesce, I can't set the security tab permissions. I was wondering if this could be a clue to a fix...