This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Crazy x64 networking workarround

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I've born a new work around plan for the win7 x64 sharing issue:

So we have a win7 x64 host pc with liquesce... maybe with much ram so we need x64...

What about setting up a virtual pc (virtual box) and installing a very minimal win7 x86 on the win7 x64 host. (also winxp seems to be possible and I already made a 270mb xp install in the past)

Then we share all physical disks for the virtual win7 x86 and install liquesce on the virtual machine also.

So for local work the local x64 install of liquesce could be used.

for sharing the virtual x86 install of liquesce.

I will test how this setup is performing but I think it should be quite fast with things like cpu virtualisation enabled. And there are many many services which could be stopped on the virtual machine to not waste ram or cpu power.

Also the hard disk power management should work with this setup.

The only question is, is liquesce sharing really working for win7 x86? I've never tried it but I've heard so.

Comments are welcome.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I think the default virtualised network connection in XP is limited to 100Mbs, so this will become a bottle neck for straight file copies, but will be more than enough for HD video streaming.

BTW; If someone was willing to install VPC then they would also go to Linux and install the free versions of merge tools in their.

But as an excercise, it should be possible :-), but then it would not have the User security or the Win 7 Homegroup sharing enabled, or it could do,

How about the VPC drive being reshared in the Win 7 box ; Is that possible ?

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I am also confused on that "sharing disks" part.

How are you going to share the physical (or make virtual?) disks between VM and physical machine?

If any of the too doesn't see the disks natively we have performance degradation even locally.

Can you elaborate? Describe a test setup.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Ok here is what I've planed in more detail:

Win7 x64 (host):

--- 3 physical data disks shared for share client

------ disks merged with liquesce for local use only

--- virtual box with Win7 x86 32bit (share client)

------ 3 shares merged with liquesce (32bit)

--------- share of liquesce drive for all (should work since it is 32bit)

Hope that is making it clear.

To the linux idea:

I already had my server running linux only. I think I tested nearly every disk merging tool for linux (there are many instead of windows) like mhddfs, ufs, aufs and other fuse implementations, amahi and so on. With none of them I was really happy. By the way some have also sharing issues ;). Some are just buggy. And some can't be configured flexible.

The other thing is that I have only windows machines on my network so a windows server would be more comfortable. With running linux in a vm I would run in the same troubles. Also the allocation modes would be inconsistent if liquesce and an other tool are running parallel. Good Idea, but I already had this torture and I take windows ;).

And the reshare question:

If the sharing works on a native win7 x86 then it will work in a virtual machine also. even if the sourcelocations are shares on a other pc (in our case the host).

I already tested the use of shares as sourcelocations and it worked without a problem. So we will see.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM

seems that vLite is also working for win7... so an shrinked win7 should be no problem :-D

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Sorry man still I don't get it. In fact you are not telling me what I ask... :)

Which disks will the virtual box see?

Will you mount the same 3 physical disks directly to virtual? Then they will not be accessible from the host machine.

Something else?

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:19 PM

@NLS: seems that we always need some iterations ;-)

anyway, one more try and read carefully since it's not so easy to understand and explain:

the physical data disks are normally mounted on the host! these drives are used by the host over a x64 liquesce install. but this liquesce x64 install can't be shared (that's the problem) so the liquesce drive can only be used locally.

so we use these physical host's disks also to share them for the virtual machine. so if you have 3 data disks you have to create 3 shares for the virtual machine ;-)

the 32bit virtual machine also has liquesce but here the shared data drives are used (over the virtual network) instead of physical disks. So the result is a liquesce drive similar to the host with the same data. Now we can make a last share of the 32bit liquesce drive on the virtual machine! This is that one which is used by other pcs to access your liquesce data :-D

so a network access would be as follows:

access the virtual pc's liquesce share over a real network -> reroute to the physical drive on the host over a virtual network.

you could build up similar setups with other constellations but thats the way I will try in a few hours.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 4:53 PM

When you have done your steps (fpdragon), perhaps add some pictures to this thread (via the documentation -> pictures page), showing the share config in the VPC and other steps etc.

What VPC method are you using, because installing Windows Virtual into Win 7 Home is not possible (IS it ?), but Virtual box should be possible.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM

OK the thing is I wasn't aware that you can share usable disks on host, on the VM... In fact I know you can see them from the VM, I didn't know in virtual box you can actually see them as "physical" disks (within VM).

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Thats no problem since you have a network interface in the virtual machine and the host.

Ok here is the progress:

I've set up a 32bit virtual machine with liquesce. Configured it and I have the same liquesce drive on the host and the 32bit virtual machine.

Then I tried to configured the share. For the start I just shared the liquesce drive with everyone for read. Then the bad news: I can't access the liquesce share :-( Even it is installed on a 32bit machine. I tried this "Repeate last message..." feature from the tray app and the thing in the config app...

So is there something I was missing? Why is the share not working on a win7 x86? I also disabled the homenetwork feature.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Checkeneye is also reporting that the share in Win 7 32 is not working now, and is reporting in the thread  "Temp Workaround for "Incorrect Function" on accessing share Issue"

So, Lets ask some different questions.

1) Have you restarted the liquesce service after setting up the share ?

2) Did you set up the share and then assign it in the Advanced Settings area ?

3) Did you setup the share via the right click on the directory, or via the administrator shares control method ?

Currently I cannot test to see when this became broken, But  I am on XP and that still allows share access if I do not restart the service (By uploading another profile or SCM control), - but have just noticed that by restarting the share is visible but access is not granted !

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.