This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

sharing with win7 x64 and unsigned driver

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Hi I noticed that FlexRAID View is able to handle shares with win7 x64 and is also based on Dokan.
A program called http://download.openegg.org/release/FlexRAID/Basic/1.4/SetupReadyDriverPlus.exe should make the usage of unsigned drivers possible. I'm not sure what I should think about this but using an unsigned driver isn't such a bad thing as far as I'm knowing that the corresponding 32bit driver makes no problems.

So if I understand everything right we should need 2 things:
1.) a fresh compiled Dokan Driver for x64 (the 32bit is signed but has the network issues)
2.) A program like Ready Driver Plus to use unsigned drivers comfortably.

Please correct me if this isn't true.

I wasn't able to compile dokan right now since I'm having troubles with this WDK(Windows Driver Kit) from microsoft. Does somebody managed to compile a Win7 x64 and send it to me for testing? I'd love to test this because I only want to use sharing on my server and the use of an unsigned driver is a small compromise for haveing liquesce with shareing!

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Well yes it is not entirely true (none of those).

1) I am not sure FlexRAID-View works better with x64 than Liquesce. I think they have the same limitations, but I didn't do much testing of -View as it doesn't do what I want (it needs explicit merging of all folders and subfolders!!!).

2) Brahim unfortunately (and I don't approve this) seems to have edited part of Dokan code WITHOUT submitting the changes back to Dokan. Not good. Hope it's not true.

3) ReadyDriverPlus never worked ok for me and my SBS7. I had to go into a permanent test mode and disable the test messages.

4) Even in test mode (the same thing ReadyDriverPlus does), things are not perfect. I am still missing proper sharing (I have access issues) and of course sharing also doesn't work automatically after reboot.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM

hmmm...

I don't know how brahim managed and I also don't tested the current version. I don't like this closed source policy so this FlexRAID stuff isn't so interesting for me.

Anyway it says that ReadyDriverPlus is needed for x64 OS to make shares working. That looks like the thing smurfiv wrote to me, that it's possible but only with "F8 allow unsigned driver" and the latest compile of Dokan x64 driver.

The known issue with refreshing shares after a restart is ok for me because my server isn't restarting very often. Even F8 on startup would be ok for me but I can't compile Dokan x64!

Do you have a Dokan Win7 x64 compile? Anyone?

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I use precompiled "dokaninstall_053.exe".

I suspect it runs in 32bit mode.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Yes, I think it does... So still no one has a 64bit dokan driver.

I have to get this WDK running.

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2010 at 3:53 PM
NLS wrote:

I use precompiled "dokaninstall_053.exe".

I suspect it runs in 32bit mode.

As covered in http://liquesce.codeplex.com/workitem/7298

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM

So what we do? It can't be compiled for x64 at all?

(side note, FlexRAID 1.4b7 is now with certificate)

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Ok I have to poke again:

http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/467.page#4892

Seems that there is a possibility but I still can't compile the dokan driver and nobody sent me a x64 build to verify it.

And I'm still not sure which restrictions a unsigned driver has in addition to the key press on boot and if a signed driver would solve all our problems.

Is it really so clever to implement a dokan client app, even if we see that other products are already seems to work?

It is not my first choice but what about buying a driver signing from ms and then offer Liquesce+ for x64 users for some euros for getting the money in again. If this would be the solution of all our problems I'd prefer it. So we would have one open source and one signed driver version which is identically from the source.

I'm trying to use as much open source as possible but not everything is free so what shall we do? I'm still skeptic with these work around solutions since they are highly platform dependent and often won't have the same performance. But I'm only one guy in this project ;).

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I think first we need to find out how much it costs and for how long (until revocation).

I.e. what Brahim didn't tell me and prefered to make a smart joke.

Then we can discuss the possibilities.

After all if the cost is small (and small is different for each of us) maybe we can split it for a year between us 2-3-4 actually involved, until the product gets a firmer base and next year we can renew on donations etc.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM

1.) does it help and do we really solve all our sharing problems with a signed driver?

2.) how much does the driver signing cost?

I don't want to pay any money if it wont help ;)

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Agreed but I cannot answer those.