Why you installed / Used / Uninstalled ?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2012 at 6:10 AM

This is a discussion thread to try and find out

1. How you came to this site
  2. What happened when you installed Liquesce (and what version)
  3. What OS Host / Client
  4. What you wanted to use it for
  5. And if you uninstalled it - Why?

So; Don't be shy.. It's all about making this a better utility suite for you the next time you visit :-). If you have problems then go to the Issue Tracker and see if it already exists and Up Vote it / Create a new one. If you have a feature that you feel would be great for this to have, then start a new discussion with that feature request and see if others can take it further.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:35 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM

OK looks like I'll go first :)

1. Was referred to it while trying out Flexraid and getting frustrated with issues in the "merged" view functionality
2. It worked locally but I couldn't get smb sharing working on Server 2008 R2 to Win7 x64 clients
3. Host - Server 2008 R2, clients - Win7 x64
4. I want to use it to get a "storage pool" view similar to DE from WHS1 or mhddfs for Linux, so that I don't have to worry about splitting movies and series onto different disks, or changing my download client's saving locations as disks fill up
5. Because of (2), it was not useful to me. But if it is fixed now, great! Except I am concerned with all the issues present in Dokan.

I think there is a big gap in the market for something that presents a bunch of disks as one continuous storage area [for Windows i should add] that just "works" as normally expected by the user, i.e.:
- no bugs / stability issues
- exes run, rename/move/copy works as usual, all apps (e,g backup apps like trueimage/synctoy) just work
- opportunity to customise some key behaviours of the service but not really requiring a user to change anything unless they are a 'power' user
- some disk usage reporting / analysis app would be kinda funky but not necessary

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I'll have a go as well

1. I wrote this to perform the functionlaity of WHS V1 so that my Windows Media Centres had central repository
  2. Seemed to work, Then I hit issues with the strange apps that wanted to use it (Like Media Browser)
  3. Win 7 x32 Clients and Host
  4. oh, refer to 1)
  5. Haven't uninstalled it, but use Direct Junctions to map the data to the other drive locations, Still working on it, to get it to wrk for everyone elses needs.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM

1.  Had found disparity, and wanted a storage pool feature for windows 7 to replace unRAID.

2.  At first I could not use liquesce because of the invalid function SMB issue, I created a script to make a shared root folder on C:\ and map folder symbolic links to my media it until the problems were fixed.  When dokan 0.6.0 was released then this fixed all the issues I was having and I now use liquesce exclusively.

3.  Host Windows 7 Professional 64bit / Clients Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

4.   I used to use unRAID, it is great but my fileserver seemed wasted as a separate machine when I only used it during the evening.  I wanted to run unraid and virtual computers on the same computer, you can do this with a bit of hacking and disk limitations.  I searched the web and found this site, liquesce with disparity offered exactly what I was looking for.  I now have a Hyper-V server that hosts my Exchange server, 7TB fileserver and development computer (all for about 80watt of power), I am very happy with the software.

5.  Never uninstalled it, I see great potential with this.

Just like to say thanks for your all your had work.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM

1. You know.

2. At the time I had SBS7 Preview. I needed to restart server service (and accompanying services) to have the merge actively shared. Had issues with accessing the files (could be resolved the last few days before I formated SBS7, but didn't have much time to check).

3. Was SBS7Preview (2008R2 x64) and client 7 x86. Now is SBS2011 (same kernel) and 7ult x64. I still have a Vista x86 client for tests and a 7 x86 laptop.

4. Merge my data disks AND intelligently spread data I write on the merge (where "intelligently" is a big discussion, I don't think Liquesce currently does that as I have found data in ridiculous places when I tried it).

5. I didn't. I formated the whole server. I haven't installed ANY relevant solution on it yet, but plan to, soon. I need FlexRAID for the parity part, but since Brahim won't change his mind with how merging can easily be done (RESPECTING the already set file/folder structure of the user - this is what he fails to understand), I will not stay away from Liquesce too.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM

1. I'm not sure.. I was just sick of managing 5 different HDD's with media spread across them! Somehow I found this place!
  2. Took me a few mins to grasp it and the resulting "N:" drive wasn't pointing to the right folders but a reboot cleared it up! Working great since!
  3. Server 2008 R2 - Used by 7 x64
  4. A one stop shop for all my media
  5. Nope!
Jan 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

1.  Search for a storage pool solution

2. Took a few minutes to understand how to set it up, but was much simpler than I was trying to make it!

3. Win 7 Pro for Host - Mix of clients (XP x2, Vista x2 and Win 7 x4)

4. Predominately for media storage, and as an online backup of data from the client computers.

5. Not likely to be uninstalled.

I started testing the software for my usage in late Oct 2011 with 3 2T drives and at some point realized that I was up to about 10 T of data spread across 7 2T data drives. It is no longer a test, it is just another resource I don't worry about ... it just works. We usually shut the server down over weekends or holidays and then whoever is the first to need it just fires off a Wake-on-LAN to the server, wait about a minute and then it is ready to go (using an SSD boot disk).