I Seem to be getting a littl econfused here..
1) Are you saying yu have got this to work (Even temporaily) in Win2k8 R2 with some settings _AND_ via Liquesce ?
2) What you describe as the SMB Share tab is the default in Win 7 (Both 32 and 64) so it would seem to be NTFS on those.
3) The SMB / NTFS things, can they be made visible by some method in Win 7 (e.g via registry setting / install)
4) I thought CIFS was in all windows OS's since they became 32 bit.
5) Win 7 also has 2 tabs- the 1st is general, followed by the "Share Permissions"
6) Here's a spanner in the works. If the share is hosted on a 64 bit platform, it cannot be accessed via a 64 bit client (including itself via the network stack) but a good old XP 32 still can !