This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Replace Dokan with Virtual Directory

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I just found this:

http://bytes.com/topic/c-sharp/answers/234378-c-virtual-directory

It seems that it is much easier to set up a virtual directory than setting up a virtual disk. No driver is needed and the programming interface seems to be easy. No special 3rd party sw or things to pay. No problem for open source. Full control of acl... But maybe I am missing something...

We could automatically map the virtual directory as a network drive to also see things in the "computer" folder.

From my point of view I don't have to have a real disk icon in the "computer". I'd also be happy with a folder under C: or a network drive map if this means that we don't have troubles with Dokan bugs and limitations.

I'm not sure if this really can help since I'm not sure what exactly virtual directory does, but hey... It's just an idea...

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Virtual Directories are terms used by IIS, for the source / root pages

Here's a clue from the article you referenced CreateVirtualDirectory("IIS://localhost/W3SVC/1/Root", "someWeb",  "c:\\somefolder");

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM

yes and can't this be used with webdav (for example) to use it as a network share?

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Again, I would stay clear from WebDAV. It is nice as an option, but not as the only way to share something.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I don't know how virtual directories can be presented. WebDAV was the first thought since I know IIS can handle it.

But maybe I should drop this idea... To much overhead...

Still no plan how we get the problems under control :-(

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Instead of using IIS; how about using FTP as the access point into the Mounted Dokan Drive ?
"http://www.crossftp.com/crossftpserver.htm"

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I think what needs to be achieved is normal SMB sharing. In any case, something that can be done from any Windows client without extra software.

Web access comes second and far third any other protocol.

At least in my mind.