This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Temp Workaround for "Incorrect Function" on accessing share Issue

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I've recently moved to an all windows 32bit setup in my house, and wasnt able to access the shared liquesce drive on any of the client win7 machines.  It looks like this is being investigated already from searching this and the dokan site.

Anyway as a temp fix I installed a nfs server onto the box running liquesce, and enabled the windows nfs client on the client machines, and mounted the share using nfs instead of smb.

I've only tested this as far as playing video content from the share, which is all i need it for.

I'm using a shareware nfs server called hanewin nfs, which is free for 30 days.  I'm going to look for a permanantky free solution in the meantime.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM

not bad...

I also thought about nfs but I didn't find a good server program.

How is your setup performing? Are you able to watch full hd videos over the network? (i expect you have a gb lan?!) Copy Paste speed from a remote machine to the server?

Do you know how much this hanewin nfs costs? I don't find this info on the website.

What nfs client do you use? Can you start executables over the network?

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Its definately a quick and dirty fix.

I'm away from home now for a few days, so might be a while before i can upload speeds.

I did have an issue watching a HD film actually using this setup where the video woudl stop playing after a while.  Didnt have time to figure out where the problem was though, it coudl be a number of things in the setup i'm using as i've only just got it up and running.  I'm using a nettop, the video processing is done via on hardware, there is a chance this was the issue.

I've watched plently of SD stuff so far without any hiccups.

I'm on Gb lan.

I'm not sure how much it costs either, all their products apart from the nfs server seem to be mentioned.  Really though finding a free one is probably the only way forward here, as this is never going to be a permanent way forward.  just a temp shortcut.   I tried using cgywin, and the nfs server that comes with that.  However it could not read the liquesce drive.  That option was free...

I'm using the native windows client.  Its available in windows 7.  You can enable it by going to "add/remove programs" then "turn windows features on/off"

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Good to know that somebody tried to use cygwin and it's not finding the virtual drive... I wanted to try it first. This would also smash my hope in using samba instead of nfs :-/

Anyway... I will also give it a try with this hanewin nfs.

thx

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I've found the prices... They are hidden under Internet Service Software (???) and for personal use 20€. Thats quite fair if it's really performing with liquesce. We will see...

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:23 PM

yes but what qualifies as "personal use"?

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM

To not use it in your company...

I now tried the program and I don't managed to configure it. The config tool isn't shown correctly because some buttons are cut from the form's border. I tried to configure with this file but it also not works. No share in the textfile is shown in the configuration gui or is accessable.

Then I tried nfsaxe and install and configuration was no problem. It's only a testversion and stops after some minutes but it works...

The performance is bad... I can watch the low quality films but no chance for hd and it takes long to browse the share with the explorer

Summarized right now it seems to be no practical alternative for me :-( Maybe this hanewin would perform better :-/

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM

ok step back a bit, you are moving too fast

1) give us a link to the certificate company and the appropriate certificate for us - maybe it works better for my browser(s)

2) NFS AFAIK had always had performance issues (on other products I've seen it used in the past)

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM
NLS wrote:

ok step back a bit, you are moving too fast

1) give us a link to the certificate company and the appropriate certificate for us - maybe it works better for my browser(s)

???

comments like these are really helping... :-/ Maybe we should even move "faster" or try harder to get a solution!

Anyway... also I don't understand where you got your knowledge for 2. I read very often that basically the NFS protocol should be even faster than SMB/CIFS for large files. So I don't expect a principle performance issue in NFS. I think these are only implementation issues in the server or client apps but I have no idea if the full performance can be achieved on windows. And that's the plan... Finding a nfs server which is fast enough and works with liquesce.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I am still waiting for you to tell me which company you contacted about the certificate or anyway what link you followed.

"I've found the prices... They are hidden under Internet Service Software (???) and for personal use 20€."

WHERE? What company?

Move as fast as you want, but try not to loose people far behind you... people that want to help you.

NFS on MS Win you will find many performance complains in the Net.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

pffff....

Ok from start: the topic was to find a nfs server... chickeneye found the hanewin nfs and it seemed to work good for him so I started to search the price and found it a little bit hidden on the website with 20€. Thats all... No company, no contact, no certificate or anything... blah :-D

Just read again from top to bottom and you should be able to follow the discussion.

And we are still searching for NFS Servers which was the original discussion's topic with improved performance and maybe lower price!

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM

ah nice :D

sorry - to many threads running in parallel in my brain

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM
chickeneye wrote:

I've recently moved to an all windows 32bit setup in my house, and wasnt able to access the shared liquesce drive on any of the client win7 machines.  It looks like this is being investigated already from searching this and the dokan site.

Not sure why there is aproblem in that area, As it is only noted that the problems exist when the Host is x64..

Are you using Workgroup or Homegroup sharing policies ?

The homegroup sharing will not work, as this uses some of the x64 API calls !

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I have 3 windows 7 32bit systems, 1 server 2 clients, both clients get the incorrect function message when i access the liquesce share.

Homegroup is disabled on the server and 1 client, and is enabled on the remaining client.

I'm now hoping there is something wrong with my setup that i could fix easily...

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Ok.. Thanks for the info.

Next , Can you say what version you have installed please ?

Alo drop the number of threads down to 1 and up the Logging to Trace

Then capture a Log file of the moements when you try to connect to the share.. (Trim all the other stuff out)

Also, How are you setting up the share, Via windows each time, or via the advanced settings and storing them in the configuration to allow the service to reanble them when it restarts / startup ?

Cheers

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

The Sharing issue is now in this work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.