Created new form in Liquesce Tray to show the free space of all disks

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM

free space

hope you like it...

Update:

added a compare mode...

compare mode

added backup and rate (change of used space)

backup and rate

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Ähhhmmm... One thing I don't understand:

This pie icon (see on the picture) is only shown on my laptop in the task bar where i did the compile...

On my other PC i see the icon with the one big drive and the three little drives.

What icon do you see in the task bar?

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Will check it out. Nice idea overall.

But why right-justify the bars? Really non-intuitive.

Question, is the window and the text fields user adjustable (or at least auto-adjustable to fit longer paths etc.)?

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:30 PM
NLS wrote:

Will check it out. Nice idea overall.

But why right-justify the bars? Really non-intuitive.

Question, is the window and the text fields user adjustable (or at least auto-adjustable to fit longer paths etc.)?

not configureable...

right justify because of an important point. i've implemented the compare mode because I want to see which disk has the most free space... with right justification you see that with wone spot. So this was important for me...

Do you see the pie chart icon in the taskbar?

Does somebody knows how to stop the progress bar animation?

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM
fpdragon wrote:
Does somebody knows how to stop the progress bar animation?

Yes.. If you look at my other Codeplex project, you will see what looks like a Vista / Win 7 progress bar with Text on it.. But, This looks like that on Win XP / Mono / Win 7 / etc. So you could take that code, and use it directly in the form you have created.

Also, As it allows text over, you can  move some of the information that you have in the other blocks into it.

But I agree with NLS.. The Right Align does look confusing.

Please compare it to the Windows Explorer view when it shows disk space (Regardless of the size of drive !) - Also if you are using the progress bar, then you can also use the colours as well (Green - Active, Yellow - Paused, Red - Error)

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Another thing, Try and make this into a grid, So that columns can be sorted (Size, space, Name etc)

And also once you have one row done, then regardless of the number of Drives mounted, the thing will scale properly (Window size / scroll bars / sorting / path size / etc)

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM
fpdragon wrote:
hope you like it...

I am unable to see how you managed to get this to be active, I can see the form in the code, but the currently checked in code has no way of activating it.

Also, I'm not sure how you will be returning this information to the a client install (You will need an API, to return all the information to be able to draw the above)

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM

First... The right alignment:

The motivation to build this free space form was to see if the balanced/backup mode is running corectly. Which disk has the most free space? Are the free spaces balanced? I have to compare the free space of every disk in the same scale and on the same alignment. Since the free space is the right part of the bars it is logical for me to alligne it to the right side. You can have different scales for every disk by disabling the compare mode. This would look like in your screens above or in my first screenshot.

left alignment means to compare the used disk space (since it is left on the bars ;) ) that makes no sense in my eyes.

right alignment means to compare the free space... from my point of view the functionality comes before the good looking ;) but maybe if there are more which complain this... we could make it configureable. And: I agree, it would be looking better on a left alignement but thats not what i need for my implementation helpers. I also see no sense in compareing the used spaces of the disks but anyway maybe there is one.

Second:

I'm not sure what you mean...

The way it's implemented:

I have an empty form, thats true. I only know at runtime how many disks are availabel and then I generate the controls which are needed. Follow the form onload and you will see what I mean.

The form should become active by clicking right on the tray icon and selecting "show free disk space" if the service is running. I just saw that I forgot to commit some files (should be online now) :-/. I'm having big problems with this visual studio 2010 commit thig :-( I know this isn't the first time, sorry. I can change most of the files without getting any warning from the ide and it never says me that some files are not commitet since the last update. Tortoise is showing and warning not commited changed files with overlay icons. I'm missing them :-/ Maybe my working isn't correct with this ide but i can't see which files were changed since the last commit/update. Also the diff is only working when i mark all files as edit.

The form is only an indicator and does not has to return any information.

I have no plan how the installer thing works but could be that some things have to be canged or added.

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
fpdragon wrote:

What would this "Form" look like if I have 25++ mount points, How will your load code deal with that and display something sensible to the user ?

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM
fpdragon wrote:

Perhaps call it scaled mode instead - This will reflect your intention better,

Also perhaps have the free space first so that would become left aligned then.

These things should be user configurabel, because if we (3) people have different ideas then they should become configurable to allow the user to interpet their data better.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM
fpdragon wrote:
I just saw that I forgot to commit some files (should be online now) :-/. I'm having big problems with this visual studio 2010 commit thig :-( I know this isn't the first time, sorry. I can change most of the files without getting any warning from the ide and it never says me that some files are not commitet since the last update. Tortoise is showing and warning not commited changed files with overlay icons. I'm missing them :-/ Maybe my working isn't correct with this ide but i can't see which files were changed since the last commit/update. Also the diff is only working when i mark all files as edit.

I have used VSS, SVN, and TFS with 2005,: And I found that

• - VSS works
  • - SVN you need to keep the window open and press refresh before attempting a Commit otherwise it does not know that things have needed to be changed / added / deleted / etc..
  • - TFS is Difficult

In 2010 I have used VSS, and TFS: and found that

• - VSS is probably the thing that keeps crashing the IDE
  • - TFS just works :-)

So I suspect that if you are using SVN, you will need to performt he similiar steps as I used to do with 2005, I.e. keep a pending chnages view open (Does not have to be visible, just open in the IDE), and before starting a commit, ask it to perform a refresh, so that it catches new files, and any files that have been updated by other applications (Like Wordpad, another IDE, etc.)

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Edited Oct 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Added entries to the following "Application Tray" Documentation

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM
smurfiv wrote:
fpdragon wrote:

What would this "Form" look like if I have 25++ mount points, How will your load code deal with that and display something sensible to the user ?

ohhh... ok i see the problem. You would need a pretty large screen resolution for seeing all entrys.

Right now I have no solution for this problem... maybe there is a kind of container where controls can be droped and then are scollable in the container. No idea?!

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM
smurfiv wrote:
fpdragon wrote:

Perhaps call it scaled mode instead - This will reflect your intention better,

Also perhaps have the free space first so that would become left aligned then.

These things should be user configurabel, because if we (3) people have different ideas then they should become configurable to allow the user to interpet their data better.

i don't want to have the free space left aligned. That would be no intuitve presentation and would lead to missinterpretations. I don't want to miss the right alignement

Altough this is no musical request programme I will make this configureable (alignement). Just give me a some days...

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM
fpdragon wrote:

One thing I don't understand: This pie icon (see on the picture) is only shown on my laptop in the task bar where i did the compile...

On my other PC i see the icon with the one big drive and the three little drives.

Using Release 2 from http://liquesce.codeplex.com/releases/view/54611 And installing onto Win 7 x64 - I saw the icon in the taskbar.. So you must have fixed it, or you do not have an icon of the right type for whatever theme / OS type you have on your test laptop.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM
fpdragon wrote:
smurfiv wrote:
fpdragon wrote:

ohhh... ok i see the problem. You would need a pretty large screen resolution for seeing all entrys.

Right now I have no solution for this problem... maybe there is a kind of container where controls can be droped and then are scollable in the container. No idea?!

See Comment # 6 in this thread, where I show an example of a GridView that has a progress bar as one of it field types.

I'll make this into a work item, and if you cannot do it, then I can.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM
smurfiv wrote:
fpdragon wrote:

One thing I don't understand: This pie icon (see on the picture) is only shown on my laptop in the task bar where i did the compile...

Using Release 2 from http://liquesce.codeplex.com/releases/view/54611 And installing onto Win 7 x64 - I saw the icon in the taskbar.. So you must have fixed it, or you do not have an icon of the right type for whatever theme / OS type you have on your test laptop.

The problem is I see the basic liquesce icon instead of the pie icon in the taskbar (not system tray or system tray menue). I've compile the source on my laptop win7x64 and moved the binaries to my server win7x64. On my server I see the liquesce base icon on my laptop the correct pie icon... I don't know why.

Could it be that the icon file is missing on my server but on the left top of the form i see the pie icon. very strange....

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Update:

*) added scroll mode to view many disks on small screens

*) added a possibility to justify to the left side

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Would be nice if someone could implement that the following changes are saved automatically:

*) window height (width should be optimately)

*) both checkboxes' values

no time, want to force the other things...

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.