This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

More future ideas

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Whilst I haven't had much time for debugging this week I have been thinking of future features which might be good.  

The big one was a caching sub system, i.e. it stores the last/frequently read files in memory, this would be user sizeable but I am thinking 500mb-1gb.  My main disk is tipple SSD but that would be damn slow compared to something that is loaded into an automatically managed cache such as that.  After a little bit of googling essentially this: http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/supervolume.php.  It would be pretty easy to implement too if a few things are abstracted in the service ;D

The other feature I was thinking about was live parity.. lol I can see why it hasn't been done yet .. not to say it can't be.  Even simple things such as deleting a file will cause a big headache here where as it wouldn't from a raid controllers point of view as ntfs doesn't wipe files.  Has any though been put into this so far?

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM
kayomani wrote:The big one was a caching sub system, i.e. it stores the last/frequently read files in memory, this would be user sizeable but I am thinking 500mb-1gb.  My main disk is tipple SSD but that would be damn slow compared to something that is loaded into an automatically managed cache such as that.

Not sure it is worth doing that, as from XP onwards the native caching of the OS is pretty good (Just go to task manager and see it's active cache doing it's thing)

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 8:56 PM
kayomani wrote:
The other feature I was thinking about was live parity.. lol I can see why it hasn't been done yet .. not to say it can't be.  Even simple things such as deleting a file will cause a big headache here where as it wouldn't from a raid controllers point of view as ntfs doesn't wipe files.  Has any though been put into this so far?

This has been mentioned a few times already, and I am waiting to see if I can get this part stable, and then have alook at what else is out there.. Remeber that Disparity and FlexRaid already offer snapshot-raid, and both developers have stated that they want to move to A Live mode of operation.