This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Drive selection algorithm

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Hi!

I'm improving the drive selection algorithm right now. As I saw in the source, right now liquesce is allways taking the first drive in the list for creating files or directorys. It even isn't switching to the next if the first drive is full.

I am implementing the following features:

1. Drive Priority mode (this is what is basically already implemented by selecting first disk)

It is neccessary to implement to select the next disk if there is no free space any more. Also some space has to be kept free on a "full" disk to make it possible to edit or add data to existing files. This buffer could be configureable.

2. Ballanced Free Space drive selection

This feature should be selectable in the config file and will disable the Drive Priority mode. It will place the files to get a ballanced free space on all disks. This will mean that the bigger (and faster) disks will be used first. There should be also speed improovements due a parallel disk use like in a software RAID0 but this will only be faster if you are copying multiple files at the same time. If you only copy one file after another it will only access one disk at a time...

I implement this feature in preparation for a live duplication feature like in Windows Home Server Vail. I will start an other discussion for this feature.

opitional in the future:

3. A cached Ballanced Free Space drive selection. In the future it is possible that I extend the second drive selection strategy with a high priority cache disk (which is typically a fast ssd, flash or ramdisk?!). But thats only an idea for now because I have a large ssd which wants to perform ;)

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM

By the way:

Could somebody implement the gui thing for my new settings?

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I've finished the implementation based on 55750 (this was the last working build for me).

I can only merge and commit if the latest bug on my system is fixed. How many changes has 55812?

@smurfiv: please help to get the latest version stable again. I wan't to merge the latest changes as fast as possible.

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM
fpdragon wrote:

Hi!

I'm improving the drive selection algorithm right now. As I saw in the source, right now liquesce is allways taking the first drive in the list for creating files or directorys. It even isn't switching to the next if the first drive is full.

I am implementing the following features:

1. Drive Priority mode (this is what is basically already implemented by selecting first disk)

It is neccessary to implement to select the next disk if there is no free space any more. Also some space has to be kept free on a "full" disk to make it possible to edit or add data to existing files. This buffer could be configureable.

I'm a little confused as to why you have made the opening statement....

Yes it does move to the next drive if the ones before are full.. I have tested that by having 3 50MB drives (Via VirtualBox) and then filling them up by a single copy action of a directory that needed 120MB of space.

Are you sure you have things setup correctly ??

Could this be down to the mounting thing that you have mentioned in the past, where the drive space calculation is thrown a loop because it does not know about Mount points.?.

The "HoldOfBytes" is the configurable option, Have you run the GUI and gone into the advanced settings and read the tooltip ?

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM
fpdragon wrote:

I've finished the implementation based on 55750 (this was the last working build for me).

I can only merge and commit if the latest bug on my system is fixed. How many changes has 55812?

@smurfiv: please help to get the latest version stable again. I wan't to merge the latest changes as fast as possible.

I'm about to start testing on this, to try and find out why you think it is broken, I'm about to make a clean VPC, and also use my development for a "Dirty" and upgrade install test as well.

You have opened an issue so keep an eye on that..

If you click on the 55812 link in the Source Code page, then it will show all the files that have chnaged, and then have a look in the Service source files to see what the changes are.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:03 PM
i already fixed the problem...

everything runns fine now but i can't commit it :-(

do you know this error? (Attatchment)

or is a file locked that i can't commit?

bye...

2010/10/8 smurfiv <notifications@codeplex.com>

fpdragon wrote:

I'm about to start testing on this, to try and find out why you think it is broken, I'm about to make a clean VPC, and also use my development for a "Dirty" and upgrade install test as well.

If you click on the 55812 link in the Source Code page, then it will show all the files that have chnaged, and then have a look in the Service source files to see what the changes are.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Liquesce@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Liquesce@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM
seems that codeplex has troubles with svn

see:
http://codeplex.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=76218

I've requested help.

bye Stefan

2010/10/8 Stefan Lechner <stefanlechner@gmx.at>
i already fixed the problem...

everything runns fine now but i can't commit it :-(

do you know this error? (Attatchment)

or is a file locked that i can't commit?

bye...

2010/10/8 smurfiv <notifications@codeplex.com>

fpdragon wrote:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Liquesce@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Liquesce@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:47 PM
That probably explains why the TortoiseMerge tool was not working either..
I'm able to checkout using the TFS from within the 2010 IDE.. Not checked in yet
I am having to merge checkenyes changes by hand
http://liquesce.codeplex.com/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx
Argh.!

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

ok I've installed TFS as standallone to use it with the visual c# express but there are some strange things with that. I have to mark every file for edit to make changes?! omg... ok right now I've managed to commit my changes.

So now one can choose "priority" for the classic mode, or "balanced" for the same free space on every disk. I hope tortoise will work as fast as possible and I'll try to get my msdn license on my notebook to get the full visual studio 2010. hope I did not damaged something on the project files :-/

hope you like the changes :-D. I do... ;)

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM
Code review

Can you add a switch statement into

·public·string·get(string·FilterThisPath)

rather than using lot's of If - Else syntax please ?
Oct 11, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I could do that but compiler should make exactly the same out of this if c# isn't worse than standard c or c++ compilers ;). I like If elseif more than switch case because they are far more flexible. I'm no c# expert but i would expect that it makes no difference. If ifs are slower, then we should think about changing the programming language or compiler ^^.

bye

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM
It is definetley worse with All languages..