This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Some questions

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 8:58 PM

NLS wrote:

1) Will it merge contents to a single view?
2) Does it need "explicit" or "implicit" merges?
3) Does it run on x64?
4) Can those be shared? (automatically?)
5) Does it run in the background not connected to any user's login? (service)

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Yes, And there are plans to allow this to be more than one in a phase 2, So strange configuration slike movies using F,G,H and then Music using M, G, H etc. The order that the user selects is the preference orde for overflow fill.

2) Does it need "explicit" or "implicit" merges?

Not sure what you are trying to say, If a Directory is in in the same offset location like F:\dir1\Dir2, H:\dir\Dir2 will look like a single dir inthe view as #:\dir\Dir2
But suplicate files will not be merged, only the "highest" preference will be seen in the #:\dir\Dir2
3) Does it run on x64?

It runs, but the shares appear not to work on Win 7 x654 (Not tested on any other x64 yet)
4) Can those be shared? (automatically?)

They are restored by using the advanced settings once the mount has been (re) mounted, there is an easy graphic list (Will be checked in soon) to show what settings (ACL' users, groups etc) will be restored.
5) Does it run in the background not connected to any user's login? (service)

Yes.. This is important for my setup..

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM

1) Great.

2) Great. Does it create huge, monstrous problems and unbelievable implications?

3) (*&(^)*&^*^... So this is only for my lab for now. My main machine that I am interested to use this, is SBS7.

4) OK. As soon as this is also possible on x64, will be great.

5) Great.

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 8:57 PM

2) No - It might do - That's what the right pane view on the management app is supposed to show, and eventually the Tray app will flash or do something as the file collisions (Not directory) are found / created

This will have larger consequences when the readonly feature requests starts to take shape, and will need careful documentation and demonstration scenarios (Use cases !)

3) It works, in that the merge and all actions are perform as expected

Here's a thought (Not tested):

- How about creating a shared folder on drive C

- Create a Junction to the root of the mounted drive and place into the shared folder

- Accessing the shared folder by normal windows network share and see if that redirects properly.. That is what I was using on Win 7(32) before I started this

4) The shares are restored, but remain just as dead as the intial sharing directly onto the Dokan Mount (Win 7 64)

- It all might be good on the Server editions of the 6.1 kernel !

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

So I take it you'd like me to test (#4).

And also #3. Interesting thought. I'll try that. (in fact I'll try that with the other too)

Can I test Liquesce without uninstalling FlexRAID-View?

I suppose I can.

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:15 PM
NLS wrote:

So I take it you'd like me to test (#4).

And also #3. Interesting thought. I'll try that. (in fact I'll try that with the other too)

Yes please :-).

NLS wrote:Can I test Liquesce without uninstalling FlexRAID-View?

I suppose I can.

If the FlexRaid view uses the latest Dokan (0.5.3) without modifcation then the installer will allow you to install, But I have not been able to ascertain that no changes have occurred, and do not currently have FlexRaid on my test systems (anymore).

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM
smurfiv wrote:
4) The shares are restored, but remain just as dead as the intial sharing directly onto the Dokan Mount (Win 7 64)

- It all might be good on the Server editions of the 6.1 kernel !

Good news.. (from build 2010-10-06)

- Win 7 x64 as the host of the view

- Rebooted and the shares are renabled

- Win XP can then connect to that share and see it's contents !!

Bad news

- Win 7 x64/32 can "see" the share, but returns the "Incorrect function" error

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM
smurfiv wrote: 
3) It works, in that the merge and all actions are perform as expected

Here's a thought (Not tested):

- How about creating a shared folder on drive C

- Create a Junction to the root of the mounted drive and place into the shared folder

- Accessing the shared folder by normal windows network share and see if that redirects properly.. That is what I was using on Win 7(32) before I started this

Nope..

Even using this excellent tool does not sort Win x64 host to another win 7 anything

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM

The bad news are too bad in fact. :) Windows XP is an OS, two major versions back. I know many people have skipped Vistam but 7 is great.

In fact in house everything is kernel 6.1 right now.

So, I am at point zero.

Should I try your #3 thought anyway or there is no reason (because of the new build)?

Also how could we verify if FlexRAID uses latest unmodified Dokan? Maybe Brahim can verify (after all he reads these threads from time to time)...

Or could you ask him? You have more success on feedback.

(btw I don't think Brahim ever mentioned using Dokan - if that is indeed the case, not cool)

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 10:10 PM

You mentioned that you had sharing working on 2008 in an earlier thread somewhere ... but this contradicts that http://code.google.com/p/dokan/issues/detail?id=168&start=100

The installer has to check for a specific file size, (due to http://code.google.com/p/dokan/issues/detail?id=182&start=100)

any recompile would probably cause that to change..

See this for a shock then:-

http://groups.google.com/group/dokan/web/filesystems-using-dokan

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Well it did, I am positive.

I did at least 3 restarts over two days with this working!

I did see all my shared folders in my client. I did browse in them. I don't remember if I opened any file.

Server is my SBS7 (so kernel 6.1 x64) and my client Win7 x86.

As of the last link. Interesting, didn't know

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM

So except your idea with link in a C: folder, what is the "proper" way to share the merge?

Normally share it from share properties like anything else?

(and expect it to work after reboot)

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Use case is this..

1. Setup the merge points
  2. Send to the service
  3. Use explorer to setup the shares / ACL's/ Users as normal
  4. Goto the Advanced settings -> shares (If on Vista and above then Mgt_App will need to be @ admin level !!)
  5. Display the shares and confirm / Save
  6. Resend the data to the servie.

Now, when the service is rebooted it will re-enable the shares with the stored data.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM

BTW in the meantime I tried the junction idea (using this: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html).

It gave me the options to "paste" the merge point as:

• Symbolic Link - No go. Doesn't even access locally.
  • Junction - No go. Same.
  • Volume Mountpoint - No go. Damn... some other error.
  • Smart Copy - I don't know. Seems to "copy" ALL my folders. I canceled it, because we talk about thousands of folders. In fact couldn't cancel, had to kill explorer.exe.
  • Symbolic Link Clone - Same as smart copy.

(for the last two I will possibly try with a small test merge to see what happens)

Let me know if you need more details on the above.

Now going to follow your last post.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Don't get what you mean with #4.

I shared my merge point (Q\) using the manual way (right mouse button on the merge point etc.).

In hard drive tree I see my Q: normally and shows shared. I can go in properties and verify.

BUT

In SBS7 console Q: doesn't show and is not selectable to make a share using the wizard and also is not selectable by any wizard to move SBS7 files (like user share folders) on it.

In normal server manager console, in Roles\File Services\Share and Storage Management, I can see Q share SMB on Q:\ but is the only share that doesn't show free space (well IPC$ too, but that is expected). Also Q: doesn't show in the volumes tab (which I suspect is the key to everything).

EDIT1: Also in the share properties (through THAT concole) it doesn't have ANY NTFS properties (owner etc.). I am setting some proper now to see if it helps.

EDIT2: Although it accepted my changes ok (everyone read, domain admins full control), going back to the NTFS properties shows that NOTHING got stored. Note that share permissions ARE set ok.

I have already opened an issue in issue tracker about the not-show-as-volume thing.

EDIT3: After reboot share is gone (merge drive is in place).

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Why not issue a simple "net share" set to run after boot?

I will try that.

EDIT: Did NOT work. The thing is that seems the service was not started at all until I logged in the computer. In fact the config console showed a demo setup initially! I closed it, service got started (by itself - does it have a delay?) and then config console showed ok.

Manually running the scheduled task (to run the cmd file that does "net share") works. I had it on 1min. delay. Now se to 5min. and will retry (I am not really sure when it starts counting).

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Doesn't work. I wonder if this:

http://thedailyreviewer.com/dotnet/view/script-map-network-drive-using-schedule-task-doesnt-work-111233268

had anything to do with it.

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM
NLS wrote:

Don't get what you mean with #4.

While remaining inthe Management Application (Darn why does this discussion list not have a picture attachment option !!)

Goto the Advanced settings -> shares (If on Vista and above then Mgt_App will need to be @ admin level !!)

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM
NLS wrote:

The Following page has been created to help with the explanation

http://liquesce.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Setup%20Merging